10 Patreon Stats You Need to Know (Updated May 2022)
Despite the platform being created in 2013, Patreon has continued to grow. The platform allows content creators to make a living off websites like YouTube by creating subscription services. With content creators and micro-influencers continuing to rise in popularity, Patreon wants to help them collect a profit. As a result, many are interested in Patreon stats.
Here’s a summary of what this guide covers:
- What is Patreon, and how does it work?
- How safe is Patreon?
- Who invented Patreon?
- How much money has the Patreon app raised?
- How much money does Patreon make?
- How much do Patreon creators make?
- Has the Patreon number of users increased recently?
- When was the last Patreon update?
- Is Patreon data protected?
- What countries is Patreon in?
What is Patreon, and how does it work?
Patreon is an American membership platform that allows content creators to run subscription services from their accounts to earn income and give rewards to their subscribers1. Various content creators use the app, including YouTube videographers, webcomic artists, writers, podcasters, and musicians. The creators can charge users either regularly or per piece of content.
When content creators want to monetize their content with Patreon, they enter a content grouping such as video/films, podcasts, games, etc., and set up a page on the website listing their fees. They also typically state their goal and can set a maximum level to receive per month. Another feature is that creators can unlock monetary tiers, consisting of lite, pro, and premium, increasing the content type and making certain content only available to top contributors.
How safe is Patreon?
Patreon is safe. The app has allowed thousands of creators to dedicate time to their craft and has kept users safe and secure.2
Who invented Patreon?
YouTube musician Jack Conte invented Patreon in 2013 when he wanted to profit from his videos’ views. He formulated the concept and brought it to his college roommate and co-founder, Sam Yam, who turned the idea into a functioning service in 6 weeks.3
How much money has the Patreon app raised?
Patreon has raised $413.3 million throughout its more than 8 funding rounds.4 The most recent top investors include Tiger Global Management, Lone Pine Capital, and Woodline Partners. The most recent round of funding was a Series F in April 2021 that brought in $155 million.
Previous funding rounds raised the following:
- Seed round: $2.1 million, 9 investors
- Series A: $15.3 million, 17 investors
- Series B: $30 million, 7 investors
- Series C: $59.4 million, 6 investors
- Series D: $60 million, 10 investors
- Series E: $90 million, 4 investors
- Series F: $155 million, 3 investors
How much does Patreon make?
Patreon takes a percentage of profit from the creators, depending on the subscription level they select.
For example, if a creator chooses the lite subscription, Patreon will take 5%, for the pro, the app takes 8%, and for the premium level, Patreon takes 12%. Patreon also takes payment processing fees every time a contribution is made to a creator. For payments less than $3, the app charges 5% plus $0.10. For payments more than $3, there is a 2.9% fee plus $0.30.
However, all fees are charged at cost, meaning the app only profits off the additional charge. The fee goes to the payment processing partners, including Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and PayPal.
How much do Patreon creators make?
At the end of September 2020, over 200,000 creators had collectively earned $2 billion. The first billion took six years for creators to make, but the second billion took just over a year.5
Has the Patreon number of users increased recently?
The app has continued to grow, with downloads nearing 470,000 times in June 2021, a month-over-month increase of 6.75%. Additionally, the app ranked 475 among websites at the end of April 2021. Currently, there are over 250,000 active creators.
When was the last Patreon update?
The last Patreon app update was May 10, 2022.6
Is Patreon data protected?
All Patreon data is protected.7 Creators do not keep any personal data for longer than necessary, and once membership is terminated, the creator will destroy or return any personal data.
What countries is Patreon in?
Patreon has creators from over 180 countries, with at least one creator from every country. Additionally, more than 40% of creators and patrons are outside the U.S.8
Want to Learn More about Patreon?
Online Optimism is constantly optimizing our processes and staying on top of the latest updates in the digital sphere. If you want to learn more about platforms like Patreon or anything related to digital marketing, check out our blog.
- Viktor. (2021, November 2). The Patreon Business Model – How Does Patreon Make Money? Product Mint. Retrieved May 3, 2022, from https://productmint.com/patreon-business-model-how-does-patreon-make-money/#:~:text=Patreon%20makes%20money%20via%20a,Lite%2C%20Pro%2C%20and%20Premium.&text=Creators%20pay%20either%20a%205,depending%20on%20the%20chosen%20plan
- Jacobs, J. (2021, November 8). Is Patreon Safe? (10 Reasons Why It Is). The Cold War. Retrieved May 3, 2022, from https://www.thecoldwire.com/is-patreon-safe/#:~:text=For%20a%20subscriber%2C%20Patreon%20is,will%20be%20your%20basic%20subscription
- Patreon. The Story of Patreon (n.d.). Retrieved May 3, 2022, from https://www.patreon.com/about
- Curry, R. (2021). What to Know About Patreon’s 2021 IPO. Public. Retrieved May 3, 2022, from https://public.com/learn/what-to-know-about-patreons-2021-ipo
- Molenaar, K. (2022, January 5). 20+ Patreon Statistics You Need to Know. Influencer Marketing Hub. Retrieved May 3, 2022, from https://influencermarketinghub.com/patreon-stats-revenue-users/#:~:text=According%20to%20Crunchbase%2C%20Patreon%20has,amounted%20to%20%24155%20million%20raised
- Retrieved May 16, 2022, from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.patreon.android&hl=en_US&gl=US
- Patreon. Data Processing Agreement – Creator Privacy Promise (n.d.). Retrieved May 3, 2022, from https://support.patreon.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026912432-Data-Processing-Agreement-Creator-Privacy-Promise#:~:text=Creator%20will%20not%20retain%20any,Loss%20or%20Security%20Breach
- Patreon (2020, February 11). Creativity Has No Borders. Patreon. Retrieved May 3, 2022, from https://blog.patreon.com/creativity-has-no-borders