20 BeReal Stats You Need to Know (Updated November 2023)
As one of the newest social media apps on the market, BeReal markets itself as the simplest social media platform. With mainstream social media platforms encouraging individuals to post the highlights of their lives, BeReal wants to change that. Other networks including Instagram are already duplicating their success. If you haven’t been paying attention, some BeReal data will likely change your mind about the app. As the network continues to grow, many are interested in BeReal stats, wanting to understand the data behind it’s statistical success.
Here’s a summary of what this guide covers:
- How does BeReal work?
- How often do you share an image on BeReal?
- Is BeReal private?
- How Do I Sign Up?
- Who invented BeReal?
- When did BeReal app come out?
- Who owns the BeReal app?
- How much money has the BeReal app raised?
- How does BeReal make money?
- How many people have installed BeReal?
- How many daily active users does BeReal have?
- What countries is BeReal in?
- How do I change the BeReal notification time?
- How Do I Add Friends?
- Can companies advertise on BeReal?
- When did BeReal reach #1 on the App Store?
- How Much is Each User Worth to BeReal?
- How Much is BeReal Worth?
- How Many People Work at BeReal?
- Is BeReal Hiring?
Need expert quotes for a story about BeReal? Our CEO and/or Social Media Director will respond within 24 hours – ask away below!
"*" indicates required fields
How does BeReal work?
The BeReal app is simple. It gives users a notification once a day to “Be Real.” The user then takes a photo on the BeReal app using the front and back camera to show their followers what they are doing at that moment. No filters, no editing, and just realness is the message that BeReal is trying to push.
How Often Do You Share an Image on BeReal?
The BeReal app sends users a notification once a day. The notification could come at any time, which is what makes the app unique.
Is BeReal Private?
Each BeReal that a user posts is only shared with their friends1. However, it is possible to publicly share a BeReal on the Discovery timeline.
How Do I Sign Up?
BeReal is available on the App Store.
Who Invented BeReal?
When Did BeReal App come out?
The BeReal app was launched by Barreyat and Perreau on December 21st, 2019.3
Who Owns the BeReal App?
The BeReal app is currently owned by its original founders, Alexis Barreyat and Kevin Perreau. Joining them on the team is Andrea Mach di Palmstein as the Head of Growth, and Romain Salzman as their COO. Many of their investors also have some share of ownership in the new company.
How Much Money Has the BeReal App Raised?
The app raised $60 million in series B4 in early 2022, bringing the app’s valuation to $587 million. The app previously raised $30 million in Series A in June of 2021, led by Andreessen Horowitz, Accel, and DST. Accel partner Sonali De Rycker and a16z Andrew Chen4 (who is on the board of Clubhouse and Substack) will join BeReal’s board as well.
How does BeReal make money?
The only money BeReal has made is through investments. As of November 2023, BeReal does not require any subscriptions or in-app purchases. They also do not have any in-app advertisements. They make their money at the moment from external investors, who, like most investors in startups, believe that the long-term potential revenue outweighs any short-term income needs. Only time will tell if that’s the case.
How Many People Have Installed BeReal?
As of November 2023, BeReal has been installed over 100 million times worldwide. This is a significant increase from August 2022, when it had around 28 million5, July 2022, when it had been downloaded 20 million times,6 and even more so since April 2022, when it had only been downloaded 7.67 million times.7
How many daily active users does BeReal App have?
BeReal’s app currently, in November 2023, has over 20 million daily active users7. This is up from April 2022, when they had 2.93 million daily active users8. That is up an incredible 29200% percent in the last year9.
What countries is BeReal in?
BeReal is currently available in most European countries, as well as the United States. As of November 2023, in App Store rankings, BeReal is the 5th most popular app under Essential Social Apps. In April 2022, BeReal was the 10th most popular social media app10 in the United States on the Apple App Store. In February 2022, BeReal was the 5th most popular social media app11 in the Apple App Store in Spain.
The app has language options in English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Italian, Simplified Chinese, Portuguese, and Spanish.
How Do I Change the BeReal Notification Time?
If you’re looking for a little more control over the BeReal notification time, then this probably isn’t the app for you. As the developers state, “Push notifications” are delivered globally on a random basis at different times each day. “You cannot” change the time yourself. You’ll simply have to, you know, be real in the moment.
How Do I Add Friends?
When you open the app, click on the icon of two human figures on the left side. You’ll then see three options: “suggestions,” “friends,” and “requests.” Click “suggestions.” You will then get a list of profiles who are already friends with your friends, and you can add them by tapping “Add” next to their profile and name.
Can Companies Advertise on BeReal?
At the moment, companies are not allowed to create profiles on BeReal. BeReal’s terms of service12 state that “Users must agree not to Use BeReal for advertising or commercial purposes to publish or facilitate the transmission of advertising, commercial solicitations, spam, “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes” or to collect information, data or Content about other Users without their permission;”
If the social network follows the path of other companies and begins allowing advertising to generate revenue, we’ll update our BeReal stats so you can be the first to know.
When did BeReal reach #1 on the App Store?
On Monday, July 25th, 2022, BeReal reached the #1 spot on the free app list in the iOS App Store for Apple’s iPhones. It remained there until September 14th, 2022, when it was overtaken by the “Top Widgets” app after iOS 16 rolled out.13
How Much is Each User Worth to BeReal?
In the Spring of 2022, BeReal was valued at $600 million via their series B. Based on the number of users at the time, that means that each daily active user on the BeReal platform was worth around $100.14
How Much is BeReal Worth?
BeReal was recently valued at $600 million via their series B, which was a round led by DST Global. Previously, they’d be valued at $150 million post-money from their Series A, led by Andrew Chen of Andreessen Horowitz. This followed a seed round via Kima Ventures and New Wave.15
|Date||BeReal Company Value|
|June, 2021||$30 Million|
|August, 2022||$600 Million|
How Many People Work at BeReal?
As of November 2023, BeReal had 100 employees listed on their LinkedIn Company page.
Is BeReal Hiring?
As of November 2023, BeReal has 2 open positions on their website. These positions include Senior iOS Engineer and iOS Design Engineer.
What Competitors Does BeReal Have?
Want to Learn More About BeReal?
At Online Optimism, we’re always staying on top of the latest digital trends you need to know, including up-and-coming apps like Gas, Lemon8, and BeReal. We’re happy to help you and your brand stay on top of what’s going on on the Internet. Sign up for our newsletter below to get that news in your inbox, or subscribe to our podcast if you’re more of a listener than a reader!
Sign Up for Our Newsletter
"*" indicates required fields
BeReal Safety Tips
Download Our BeReal Stock Images & Videos
More of a visual reader? Check out our BeReal Web Story below:
- Perreau, K. (n.d.). Bereal. I want to keep my bereal private. https://bere.al/en/faq/private-bereal
- BeReal. Retrieved April 22, 2022, from BeReal. BeReal CEO, Founder, Key Executive Team, Board of Directors & Employees. (n.d.). Retrieved April 22, 2022, from https://www.cbinsights.com/company/bereal/people
- iTunes Search API. Via https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/AudioVideo/Conceptual/iTuneSearchAPI/index.html. Retrieved on September 4, 2022.
- Bandara, P. (2022, October 24). BeReal Raises $60M in Funding, Pushing App’s Valuation to $587M. October 24, 2022. Retreived on November 2, 2022 from https://petapixel.com/bereal-raises-60m-in-funding-pushing-apps-valuation-to-587m/
- Instagram challenges BeReal and adds notes short-message feature. (n.d.). Retrieved January 2nd, 2023, from https://www.livemint.com/technology/tech-news/instagram-challenges-bereal-and-adds-notes-short-message-feature-11671023017517.html
- Zara, C. Fad or Frenzy, BeReal is Having a Real Moment Right Now. FastCompany. July 19, 2022. Retrieved on September 4, 2022 from https://bit.ly/3APTJyr.
- Holt, K. (2023, April 24). BeReal says it has more than 20 million daily active users. Retrieved May 1, 2023, from https://engt.co/3AJZgqA.
- AppMagic. (2022, August 26). BeReal. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/3AQGqif.
- Dayal, Mahira. (2022, August 25). BeReal Counts 10 Million Daily Users. The Information. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/3R7BScL.
- Perez, S. (2022, April 22). BeReal: Hype or hit? What to know about the Gen Z photo-sharing app climbing the sharts. TechCrunch. Retrieved May 2, 2022 from https://tcrn.ch/3k4m245
- The BeReal app, the anti-Instagram, a new French social network that is making headlines. Archyde. Retrieved May 1, 2022, from https://bit.ly/3QTOvIS
- Most popular social networking iPhone apps ranking in United States. Similarweb. (n.d.). Retrieved April 22, 2022, from https://bit.ly/3QTNyQP
- S. Perez. TechCrunch. ‘Top Widgets’ soars to No. 1 on the App Store, displacing BeReal, as iOS 16 customization takes off. Retrieved September 20th, 2022 from https://tcrn.ch/3qTqWV3.
- Perreau, K. (n.d.). Bereal. your friends for real. BeReal. Your Friends for Real. Retrieved April 22, 2022, from https://bere.al/en/terms
- Newton, C. Why BeReal is Breaking Out. Retrieved July 27, 20220, from https://bit.ly/3dWb9S9.
- Dayal, M. and Clark, K. Why Investors Value a BeReal User Double That of Snap. Retrieved August 24, 2022 from https://bit.ly/3chXTXJ.
- Newcomer, E. Scoop: a16z, Accel Back French Founder’s Photo Sharing App BeReal. (2021, Jun 3). Retrieved August 28th from https://www.newcomer.co/p/scoop-a16z-accel-back-french-founders.
- One of our Specialists checking their hiring page on the first of each month.